October 25th, 2010
We had a birthday/Halloween party to go to this past weekend. When I go to a party or to someones house for a gathering I am always in fear that there will be nothing that is suitable for me to eat so I always prepare a dish to take with me (yes I check with the hostess first ~ it would be rude not to) I made my standard Chili but decided I didn’t to eat that so I ran to the store and bought some Kale and made soup. It was very quick to make and was so good to eat. I was happy I made the soup since everyone liked it.
Kale Sausage Soup
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion rough chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and cut (into half moons)
- 1 bunch of Kale, ribs and stems removed then rough chopped
- 4 chicken sausages cut into ¼ inch rounds ( I used a pre-cooked chicken and spinach version I bought at Sam’s Club)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups of cooked small white beans
- Black pepper ~ to taste
- 10 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of chicken base
- 1 x 2 inch rind of Parmesan cheese ( when I say rind I mean the back side where the writing is only about ¼ inch thick but if you don’t have it you can leave it out, maybe add ¼ cup of good Parmesan cheese but it adds a nice depth of flavor and richness)
Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot, add the onion and carrots. Cook till the onions start to get soft and translucent then add the Kale, Sausage, bay leaves and beans. Cook till the Kale starts to wilt then add the water and Chicken Base (if you don’t have chicken base you can use chicken stock but use low sodium). Stir in the pepper and add the cheese rind. Let simmer on low for about a half hour, stirring occasionally.
Please note, this could be made into a vegetarian dish by adding vegetable base or broth in place of the chicken and replace the chicken sausage with some pressed firm tofu cut into cubes.
- Cream of Mushroom with Brie soup.. that is what’s for dinner tonight! This weekend I went to a great grocery store that...
- Chicken Sausage Soup I love this soup, I made it last week for...
- Acorn Squash soup This weekend we went to a local shop and had...
- Quick Chicken Soup I have a 4 1/2 year old daughter who loves...
- Pasta-less Lasagna Pasta-less Lasagna For the noodles 1 small eggplant 1 medium...